Game 1 of the ALCS certainly lived up to the hype.
Good morning everybody and happy Saturday! We had Game 1 of the ALCS yesterday in addition to a bunch of other news and stories from around baseball. Let’s get to ‘em.
In playoff news…
- Despite another big playoff game from Enrique Hernánez, it was Carlos Correa who stole the show last night in Houston’s 5-4 series-opening win over the Red Sox.
In Mariners news…
- Brent Stecker at My Northwest outlines some potential future Mariners who are currently competing in the MLB playoffs.
Around the league…
- With most of the sport’s true stars sitting out of this year’s playoffs, Mookie Betts remains the one true superstar still standing, writes Jared Diamond at The Wall Street Journal.
- I didn’t even know this former big leaguer was coaching for the Angels, but now he’s gone.
Hear Angels catching coach José Molina won’t be returning. Angels may have other staff changes as well.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) October 15, 2021
- The lack of direct locker room access for reporters and the rise in Zoom press conferences has inconvenienced many American-based journalists, but it also has opened the door for better coverage across Latin America, writes Maria Torres and Zach Buchanan at The Athletic. ($)