Hello folks and happy Friday! Here’s the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news…
- Corey Brock at The Athletic details John Stanton’s comments on the restructured front office and other pertinent M’s topics. ($)
- Now he just has to learn to command his offerings.
Only 5 pitchers changed their secondary pix mitch as dramatically (20+% change on a secondary pitch usage) as Yusei Kikuchi did last year. Now he’s got a hard cutter, deeper slider, & a hard fastball that gives him this sort of 3 pitch approach when he doesn’t use the change. pic.twitter.com/7hAzZskxzy
— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) March 11, 2021
- The Rainiers are planning to have fans early this season as well.
Our statement on today’s announcement by Gov. Inslee: pic.twitter.com/mEbyNRI2by
— Tacoma Rainiers (@RainiersLand) March 12, 2021
Around the league…
- The Angels went national to find their new TV voice.
Welcome to the @Angels family Matt Vasgersian!
Starting this season, the California native will be the new voice of the Los Angeles Angels! pic.twitter.com/rbRMydTWm0
— FOX Sports West (@FoxSportsWest) March 11, 2021
- Eno Sarris and Brit Ghiroli at The Athletic discuss which teams are best at increasing the velocity of their pitchers. The M’s get some love in this one. ($)
- Emma Baccellieri revisits the last normal spring training game before the pandemic struck things down in 2020.
- The Angels continue to deal with the injury bug.
#Angels pitchers Brendan McCurry and Gerardo Reyes will both have Tommy John surgery.
McCurry was a non-roster invite. Reyes was among a handful of pitchers competing for a bullpen spot.
— Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) March 11, 2021
- Our very own Jake Mailhot at Fangraphs wonders if Ketel Marte can get back on track in 2021.
- The Marlins are planning to use drones to clean their ballpark this season.
- It doesn’t look like King Félix’s velocity is coming back.
After Ryan Mountcastle’s two-base error, Félix Hernández allowed a run-scoring double to Todd Frazier. He threw 20 pitches in the first inning, none harder than 86 mph.
Orioles, 1. Pirates, 1. End 1.
— Joe Trezza (@JoeTrezz) March 11, 2021
- Just thinking about this gives me a toothache.
Byron Buxton broke a tooth earlier this week and has undergone root canal and had a crown placed yesterday, Twins say. It’s kept him out of the lineup for a few days.
— Phil Miller (@MillerStrib) March 11, 2021