Two weeks until Opening Day!
Good morning everyone! It’s been nice to have a pair of consecutive M’s games on TV; It feels like we’re finally getting into regular season form! Anyway, here’s the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news…
- Well, that’s disappointing.
Hi Brittney! Due to MLB Covid protocols we couldn’t do video shooting w/ a production crew this year. Our TV ads will be a bit different this year but we’re still excited to share them. You’ll start to see them on our social platforms and during our TV games. Thanks for asking!
— Kevin Martinez (@Kevin_Martinez) March 17, 2021
- Our very own Joe Doyle hopped on Gary Hill’s podcast to talk M’s prospects.
Around the league…
- For ESPN+ subscribers, Jeff Passan made a host of predictions for the 2021 season. ($)
- Zach Buchanan at The Athletic breaks down the J.B. Bukauskas story, one that goes in the long annals of service manipulation history. ($)
- Don’t worry! Artificial crowd noise is here to stay.
MLB clubs required to play augmented crowd noise at any broadcast for games with less than 25 percent capacity crowds. Optional if crowds are at more than 25 percent of capacity.
— JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36) March 17, 2021
- The Astros might be saved from total disaster.
While #Astros starter Forrest Whitley underwent Tommy John surgery today, they received good news on starter Framber Valdez. No surgery has been recommended at this time for his broken finger, and MRI has shown “significant healing,” according to LA Dr. Steven Shin.
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) March 17, 2021
- Former Mariners pitcher Joel Piñeiro is now a writer for The Athletic, and his latest piece answers some of the biggest questions from this year’s spring training. ($)