Opening Day is just around the corner!
Hello folks and happy Thursday! We’re officially a week out from MLB Opening Day! Let’s get to some links.
In Mariners news…
- Please let this be a breakout year for him.
More Justin Dunn Breaking Ball Filth. pic.twitter.com/BonnFhRclF
— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) March 25, 2021
- The Mariners have announced that T-Mobile Park is sold out for Opening Day.
Around the league…
- Jared Diamond at The Wall Street Journal wrote about Eddie Robinson, the oldest living former MLB player, and how he made up for not going to a game in 2020 (the first season he hadn’t done so for in over half a century) by heading down to spring training in 2021.
- The Tigers made a couple of major roster decisions, impacting the future of a former Mariner.
Tigers informed Julio Teheran and Tarik Skubal this morning that they’ve both made the team, manager A.J. Hinch said.
Ian Krol and Erasmo Ramirez were informed that they will not make the Opening Day roster but will remain with team thru end of camp.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) March 24, 2021
- I guess Trevor Bauer signed his extension at the right time for him.
MLB’s attempts to crack down on foreign substances are outlined in a memo obtained by ESPN. Among the plans:
– Increased monitoring by compliance officers
– Inspections of baseballs taken out of play that will use a third-party lab to check for substances
– Spin-rate analysis
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 24, 2021
- I think this is getting out of hand.
The Carolina Disco Turkeys are the newest team in Winston-Salem, NC, and begin play this summer! We’re excited to play our home baseball games at Truist Stadium as summer roommates of the @WSDashBaseball! More info: https://t.co/1mb9OBBdzh @MiLBPromos @UniWatch @sportslogosnet pic.twitter.com/WYv34sR3AC
— Carolina Disco Turkeys (@discoturkeys) March 24, 2021
- The Astros have agreed to a five-year extension with Lance McCullers, Jr.
- But it looks like another Houston star turned down a similar offer.
Astros offered superstar SS Carlos Correa about $120M for 6 years, and no surprise, to this point there’s no sign of traction. Assuming no deal occurs, Correa, 26 now, will be the youngest in a great free agent class. Astros did get McCullers done at $85M/5, so credit them there.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) March 24, 2021
- Meanwhile, it’s going to be a little bit before we see Khris Davis in Ranger Blue.
Update on Khris Davis: grade 2 strain of the quad. Expected to miss 3-4 weeks.
— Levi Weaver (@ThreeTwoEephus) March 24, 2021
- The White Sox are favored to sign one of the best international free agents out there.
Sources: White Sox expected to sign Cuban OF Oscar Colas (22) for around $2.7 M when a new international signing period opens on January 15, 2022. Several MLB teams (Mets-Angels-Marlins) were in the race for Colas, who left Cuba in early January 2020 and was a FA last December.
— Francys Romero (@francysromero10) March 25, 2021
- This headline combined with this image might be the funniest thing I’ve seen all week.
— The Onion (@TheOnion) March 24, 2021
- It’s time for you to learn about Caitlin Clark, an Iowa freshman basketball player who might just be the next great athlete in the sport.