Hello everyone and happy Friday! Here’s the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news…
- Daniel Kramer at MLB wrote about the Sheffield brothers and their first time playing against one another in a professional setting.
- Whether you buy this or not, the M’s have changed their messaging on Jarred Kelenic.
Jerry Dipoto says #Mariners will be “open minded” when it comes to Jarred Kelenic breaking camp with the MLB roster, but the team has to be realistic given Kelenic’s inexperience at high-level MILB competition. Wants guys to be ready for the ups and downs of MLB.
— Brandon Gustafson (@TheBGustafson) March 4, 2021
- Some updates on a pair of M’s who have yet to appear in a game this spring.
Luis Torrens who has been out with a cut on his finger is expected to play this weekend.
Shed Long who is still coming back from shin surgery has been slowed in camp. Hit off Paxton in sim game yesterday but has yet to play in a Cactus League game.
— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) March 4, 2021
- Corey Brock at The Athletic tells the story of Will Vest, who had a wild journey in baseball to get to where he is. ($)
Around the league…
- Spencer Torkelson really took one for the team.
Spencer Torkelson on the cut right index finger situation: “The boys were hungry, and I was in charge of dinner that night. I was making corn salsa. There was a can of beans to put in. The Airbnb didn’t have a can opener, so we had to improvise.” #Tigers
— Evan Petzold (@EvanPetzold) March 4, 2021
- Major League Baseball is doing its part to help fight ALS.
June 2 will forever be known as Lou Gehrig Day.
— MLB (@MLB) March 4, 2021
- More on the Framber Valdez news from yesterday…
The initial recommendation for top young Astros SP Framber Valdez is for surgery to repair his fractured ring finger, and the early belief is that could mean he’d miss the 2021 season, as I just said on @MLBNetwork. But the team is getting 2nd opinions before commenting further.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) March 4, 2021
- Barry Svurluga at The Washington Post wrote about Brian Dozier, who learned Spanish just so he could speak with his teammates.
- This would be a huge hit to a Blue Jays staff that’s already pretty thin.
Per Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins, Nate Pearson suffered a grade 1 right groin strain while pitching Monday.
Club will be cautious and limit his activity in the coming days; not yet a clear timeline on when he could return to the mound.
— Arden Zwelling (@ArdenZwelling) March 4, 2021
- Former Mariner David Freitas has agreed to a deal with the KBO’s Kiwoom Heroes.
- A former beloved Mariners prospect has landed with an independent league club.
Cougars Add Infielder Nick Zammarelli
Welcome to the Cougs, @Zamm94!
— Kane County Cougars (@KCCougars) March 4, 2021
- If this is true…yikes.
SPACE JAM: A NEW LEGACY includes cameos from The Matrix, Mad Max, DC, and Casablanca franchises as LeBron James & his son travel through the Warner 3000 entertainment “Server-verse” whilst AI G Rhythm tries to steal LeBron’s Instagram followers.
— DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm) March 4, 2021
- The Seattle Kraken are already making their mark on the community, partnering with Seattle University to create an MBA program to focus on diversity in sports leadership. The Athletic has the full report. ($)