Hard to believe that we’re a full month into the regular season.
Good morning everyone! The Mariners kick off a series with the much-hated Angels today. Let’s get you caught up on the latest baseball happenings.
In Mariners news…
- R.J. Anderson at CBS Sports laments on the Mariners’ decision to keep Jarred Kelenic and Logan Gilbert down in the minors this far into the season.
Around the league…
- The Rays continue to be Weird.
One inning into his first start and Shane McClanahan already broke Statcast. Those 92s and 93s are sliders. The Rays rookie is primed to be the hardest-throwing left-handed starter in big league history. pic.twitter.com/C9mizrS8gT
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) April 29, 2021
- Up-the-middle base hits are on the decline, reports Devan Fink of Fangraphs.
- Bring him home?
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) April 29, 2021
- Eno Sarris at The Athletic tries to predict what would happen if Major League Baseball really did move the mound back. ($)
- Corbin Burnes has hit the injured list with an undisclosed issue, which understandably has fans concerned given the Brewers’ ace’s breakout April.
- In sorta-baseball news.
Raiko Arozarena is officially the goalie for the Tampa Bay Rowdies. He’ll play right across the street from where his brother Randy plays for the Tampa Bay Rays pic.twitter.com/ukN2kAwfRV
— Talkin’ Baseball (@TalkinBaseball_) April 29, 2021
- Some teams are beginning to announce their minor league prospects’ assignments, and it looks like top prospect Wander Franco will kick things off in Triple-A for the Rays.