Sunday is for the links
These links, they belong to May 2nd, 2021.
In Mariners news…
- In case you missed it, Seattle designated recent waiver claim C/1B Jacob Nottingham for assignment and called up RHP Wyatt Mills yesterday. Mills made his big league debut with a 1-2-3 inning in the M’s 10-5 loss.
Around the league…
- In one of the more embarrassing combo miscues you’ll get from an umpiring crew, this play was ruled a double play ultimately after a wild “out of the baseline” call and a missed call at first in last night’s Phillies–Mets tilt.
- The Mets lost both J.D. Davis and Brandon Nimmo to hand and wrist injuries, with a hand sprain and finger contusion respectively, but hope to have them back in the near future.
- The Braves recalled OF Cristian Pache and placed former Mariners OF Guillermo Heredia on the 10-day IL with hamstring inflammation.
- A lot of loud words were exchanged by the Cubs and Reds late in their game yesterday afternoon. Nobody was hurt, but the exchange centered around LHP Amir Garrett and INF Javy Báez, followed by both clubs emptying their benches and offering no shortage of entertaining screencaps, video clips, and postgame quotes.
“It doesn’t matter who does it again, if somebody else does it again, we will go out there again. That’s not a problem. Like I said. He needs to respect the game, if he doesn’t respect the game and if he doesn’t respect us, then that’s going to happen.”
— C. Trent Rosecrans (@ctrent) May 2, 2021
— Meg Vogel (@MegVogelphoto) May 2, 2021
- Dodgers fireballing young righty Dustin May was pulled early from his start after his velocity dropped abruptly and appeared to be in pain.
- Possible No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 MLB Draft, Vanderbilt RHP Jack Leiter, got lit up yesterday.
Florida has tagged Jack Leiter for three home runs in the first three innings today. Leiter has given up eight home runs in his last three starts (14 IP).
— Teddy Cahill (@tedcahill) May 1, 2021