We have our second foreign substance-related ejection of the season.
Hello folks and happy Thursday! Here’s what’s going on around baseball.
In Mariners news…
- Get your schedules ready for next spring!
For those who want to start planning for the 2022 championship season and the spring training league into it. Here’s the 2022 Mariners Cactus League schedule. pic.twitter.com/GlwMHPqacF
— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) August 18, 2021
- MLB Pipeline updated their top 100 prospects as well as their top 30 organizational prospects. The Mariners now have the second-ranked farm system by the website, behind the Marlins who have 7 in their top 100.
Around the league…
- Major League Baseball has proposed a league salary minimum to go along with a lower luxury tax threshold, reports Evan Drellich and Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic. ($)
- The strength of that arm is insane.
JBJ grabbed me and said, “You want some content?” https://t.co/VtYemWNjVe
— Brad Ford (@BrewCrewBlue) August 18, 2021
- The Padres simply cannot catch a break.
Jake Arrieta left his first start with the Padres with a mild left hamstring strain. Gave up 5 in 3.1.
— Jesse Rogers (@JesseRogersESPN) August 18, 2021
- The umpires insisted on being apart of the show in this one.
Lance Lynn got ejected for throwing his belt as he tried to rush through a substance check to get to the trainer’s room.
He did not ejected for the substance check. I hope this is very clear.https://t.co/LPETdZQPyD
— James Fegan (@JRFegan) August 19, 2021
- Meanwhile, in another city…
It was Caleb Smith’s glove that was confiscated, and he was ejected by crew chief Tom Hallion, the same umpire who was on the crew that discovered illegal foreign substance on #Mariners pitcher Hector Santiago’s glove, resulting in a 10-game suspension. https://t.co/LZuzRtCaal
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) August 19, 2021
- We have more news from Chris Bassitt: he reportedly had a cheek fracture that is not affecting his vision and did not lead to other eye or head injuries. It sounds like he got very lucky.
- Detroit Tigers TV analyst Jack Morris was suspended indefinitely by Bally Sports Detroit for racist comments made about Shohei Ohtani during the broadcast.
- Another reason to get the universal DH: Freddy Peralta hurt his shoulder yesterday while swinging the bat in a game.
- Freddie Freeman hit for his second career cycle yesterday.
- The Athletic is starting a project to undergo a mock MLB expansion draft. But before that, they need to decide what city to put their new fake team in. Go vote in their poll. ($)