Start your week off right with a fresh batch of Monday links!
In Mariners News…
- After a dominant few outings, Paul Sewald is just getting started.
Paul Sewald is a 31-year-old reliever who had a 5.50 ERA in 125 G over 4 seasons with the Mets. Mariners signed him as a free agent and he’s put up a 2.57 ERA and struck out 70 in 42 IP, including the side in 10th with bases loaded today vs. Astros. Heck of a find for Seattle.
— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) August 22, 2021
- An update on Diego Castillo:
Servais said Diego Castillo’s MRI didn’t show anything more than shoulder fatigue. They hope he is only out the 10-day minimum
— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) August 22, 2021
- The Mariners have signed RHP and 7-year MLB veteran Matt Andriese to a major league deal, and DFA’d RHP Robert Duggar in a corresponding move. Andriese was previously with the Red Sox this season, starting 26 games and going 2-3 with a 6.03 ERA before being released by the team on August 19th.
Around the League…
- Huge congrats to Miggy on reaching a major milestone of 500 career home runs!
The 28th player in MLB history to hit 500 home runs.
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) August 22, 2021
- Pittsburgh Pirates veteran outfielder Gregory Polanco has reportedly been placed on outright waivers after the team’s game yesterday afternoon against the St. Louis Cardinals.
- After missing 11 games due to back spasms, Javier Baez is back with the New York Mets to provide much needed support to their struggling lineup. In his return last night, he batted third and hit an RBI double in the first inning that assisted in the Mets’ 7-2 win against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- The San Fransisco Giants have placed Evan Longoria on the COVID IL because of vaccine side effects, and additionally placed Anthony DeSclafani on the IL due to right ankle inflammation.
- Eastlake Little League (Sammamish, WA) has been putting on a show so far in the Little League World Series as pitcher Eli Jones threw the tournament’s first solo no-hitter of six innings or more since 2015!