August is winding down and the Mariners have a better record than the Padres.
Greetings, folks. Here’s what’s going on around baseball as Seattle gets set for a four-game set in Kansas City.
In Mariners news…
- It may be hard to believe, but T-Mobile Park is now just as old as the Kingdome was on its last day.
I hope you are ready for this:
The Mariners played 1,755 games at the Kingdome
Tomorrow will be game 1,754 at T-Mobile Park
Believe it or not, they will be equal on Friday
— Gary Hill Jr. (@GaryHillJr) August 25, 2021
- The bullpen shuffle churns on.
Mariners roster moves:
Casey Sadler, RHP, returns to active roster
Keynan Middleton, RHP, optioned to Triple-A Tacoma
— Mariners PR (@MarinersPR) August 25, 2021
Around the league…
- After losing 19 games in a row, the Orioles managed to get into the win column last night thanks to a five-run eighth inning which allowed them to take the lead. Here’s the moment they got ahead.
THE STREAK IS OVER.
THE ORIOLES WIN! pic.twitter.com/qCNMdyc16E
— Connor Newcomb (@ConnorNewcomb_) August 26, 2021
- Before the O’s got off the schneid, Jake Mintz at FOX Sports wrote about this unique streak for Baltimore.
- I feel like we haven’t been hearing much about him since he got called up, but Wander Franco has been just as good as advertised so far.
Wander Franco has reached base safely in 25 straight games, tied for the longest streak by a player under 21 in the Expansion Era (since 1961). pic.twitter.com/wG88NStlOx
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 25, 2021
- You’ve got to admire the creativity.
Omg so it appears Michael Chavis is still using a Red Sox duffel bag, but he taped over it with “Pirates Arrgh” to fit his new team pic.twitter.com/FLOQ7bqIuy
— Jake Crouse (@JakeCrouseMLB) August 24, 2021
- I know the Mariners would have trouble finding room for an outfield bat but Nick Castellanos would sure be a nice addition to the lineup…
All-Star OF Nick Castellanos is likely to opt out with $34M, 2 yrs to go, joining Conforto, Marte and Schwarber at top of free agent OF list (*A.J. Pollock and Avi Garcia may qualify to opt out on plate PA, **Not counting Chris Taylor or Kris Bryant who play all over) @MLBNetwork
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) August 25, 2021
- Pretty cool gesture by Jo Adell.
Angels outfielder Jo Adell threw a ball up in our section the previous inning and knocked a kids drink out of his hands. Next inning comes out with a bat for the kid. Classy guy @Angels @MLB pic.twitter.com/Yt7mdIwKug
— Seth McLaughlin (@SethhMclaughlin) August 25, 2021
- In addition to announcing that he will be returning the Cardinals next year, Yadier Molina also said that 2022 will be his final season in the big leagues.